Tuesday 8 February 2011

Day In & Day Out: the squares

2" square of watercolour paper
Smitten by the concept of the Day In & Day Out (hereafter DIDO), I returned to this practice on January 1, 2008. I limited the size to a two inch square of watercolour paper and the quantity to one per day. Beyond this, I could do anything. Now I am into my fourth year of the 2" square DIDO but I almost didn't make it. In late 2010 I wondered what more I could do. I was bored. And then one day I wasn't. In the DIDO marathon I had hit the wall, acknowledged it, and then new energy and ideas arrived unbidden. As of today I have practiced the 2" DIDO 1135 days and I have learned a lot along the way. Many of my DIDOs have brought insights that I apply in my regular studio practice. Eric Cameron continues to have in influence on my work 18.5 years after I learned about his work.

No comments: