Thursday 29 September 2011

Halifax cat

When I was ten years old a calico cat adopted our family. I named her Princess. My dad had a truck repair garage that was infested with mice, so off Princess went to do her duty. Thinking that our calico was a male cat, the mechanics renamed her Murray. Obviously they secretly liked her/him. Princess/Murray's white coat was never the same--it took on a grey cast from all the grease that he/she got into. When dad moved his business to a different building Princess/Murray came back home. A few months later, the cat was becoming very round. One morning we went out into the garage to discover that I was right about Princess: she had given birth to a beautiful litter of kittens. After this, we renamed her Marie. Long before the internet, I've known that calico cats are female, and recently I heard a segment on CBC Radio's Quirks and Quarks that confirmed this. 

I met this friendly calico beauty on Gottingen Street in Halifax. Doesn't she remind you of Charlie Chaplin?

No comments: