Thursday 15 December 2011

Books: The Quilts of Gee's Bend

In 2003 I was an artist-in-residence in the textile studio at Harbourfront, which was a hub of activity and opportunity. One opportunity for which I am grateful was an invitation to take a private workshop with some of the ladies of Gee's Bend fame. We were a small group that gathered in the costume studio for Mirvish productions and I lucked into being Mary Lee Bendolph's workshop assistant. She is a natural storyteller and I was all ears. After the workshop I high-tailed it to David Mirvish Books where I bought this The Quilts of Gee's Bend book and soaked in a small exhibit of Gee's Bend quilts. Whether you are a graphic designer, an architect, or a textile artist, this book will inspire. Beyond the gorgeous colour images, the women's stories are engaging and occasionally heart-breaking.

1 comment:

Judy Martin said...

I love this book too. It reminds me of how I want to work...of the feeling I want to express. One of expansion. One of freedom.