Thursday 12 July 2012

Black cherries!

Black cherries; Photo credit © Karen Thiessen 2012
Black cherries; Photo credit © Karen Thiessen 2012
Black cherries are my favourite summer fruit. Niagara cherries are in season here in Ontario right now. This reminds me of a conversation about food seasons that my husband and I had the other day. He pointed out that some (many?) folks no longer know their local food seasons because we go to the grocery store where food is imported from all around the world, or is grown almost all year round in greenhouses. I confess that I eat imported foods like fresh spinach in winter and mangosteens, bananas, and the occasional orange, but in spring, summer, and autumn nothing tastes better than fresh local produce that was picked just the day before. Psst: plums, peaches and nectarines are the next fruit in season.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love that table cloth! Did you design it?

Karen Thiessen said...

Ah, I wish I did design it. I've been drawing that pattern in my sketchbook for years, but Marimekko beat me to it. It's a dinner napkin and the pattern is called Vellamo.