Wednesday 5 September 2012

Studio Series: Hexagons

Hexagons (English paper piecing) by Karen Thiessen 2012
When I heard about the Beehive craft collective's planned installation, Modular Beauty, for Hamilton's Supercrawl 2012, I thought I'd piece a hexagon or two to contribute to this awesome community event. The Bees generously shared their English paper piecing tips and I learned quickly. What they didn't tell me was that piecing hexagons is highly addictive– far more than single source dark chocolate. Most of the fabrics that I used were from my hubby's worn dress shirts and dress pants and everything is hand-stitched. For this occasion I bought freezer paper from which to cut the hexagon templates. What's great is that the freezer paper hexagons can be reused over and over again. The deadline for sending in pieced hexagons was August 31. In the meantime, I've started two more hexagon projects, this time incorporating the Japanese fabrics that I bought this spring!

No comments: