Friday 16 August 2013

Summer highlights 1

Mulberry stained fingers; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Summer is normally too hot and humid for me, but this year the weather has been perfect and as a result I've been enjoying it differently. Evening mulberry walks are a summer tradition and we've introduced it to our nieces, nephew, and our adventurous friends.
Dried mud puddle; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
I saw this dried mud puddle while out for a walk and had to go back for my camera. When I lived on the farm, I had fond memories of walking on these barefoot, breaking up the mud shards. Squishing warm, wet mud through my toes was also fun. I seldom see mud puddles in the city.
 Variegated Canna Lily leaf; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Twice this summer, we've brought a picnic lunch to Niagara-on-the-Lake. NOTL is a tourist town with the Shaw Theatre, picturesque shops and a showy streetscape with benches and dramatic greenery. When I was young, my grandma would take me there each summer. I preferred its calmness to the chaotic Niagara Falls.
 Adolescent robin; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
 This young robin claimed our patio as his own and made his mark, so to speak. 
 Red & White twist tie on hexagons paper; Photo credit: © Karen Thiessen, 2013
This twist tie against the hexagons paper pad that I bought at Cinnober makes me very happy. It's a small, simple delight.

No comments: