Wednesday 30 October 2013

Children's art: Pottery

SCJ bowl; Photo credit © Karen Thiessen, 2013
My 8 year old friend Sophie is a budding potter. She has been taking private pottery lessons from a neighbour and the results astound me. I was particularly smitten with the bowl in the above image and was sorely tempted to take it home with me. It's serving bowl-sized, about 12 inches in diameter.
SCJ vase 1; Photo credit © Karen Thiessen, 2013
 This is one of Sophie's early pieces and I love it too. 
SCJ vase 2; Photo credit © Karen Thiessen, 2013
To give you a sense of her development, above is a more recent vase. It is robin's egg blue and its gentle asymmetry is pleasing. The bud vase feels nice in the hand. If she continues to enjoy pottery, I am curious to see how her technique and aesthetic will develop. 

No comments: