Wednesday 27 November 2013

Amsterdam: Notions of textiles

Wooden Button; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
In June my husband and I visited Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I've written about Copenhagen, but haven't been able to write about Amsterdam because there was so much to process. At first I didn't like Amsterdam. Not at all. Copenhagen was ordered: I knew how to cross the street. As a pedestrian, I had my space, separate from bikes and cars. Not so in Amsterdam. Yikes! There are no stop signs in the canal district.
Buttons; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Once I wrapped my head around the busy, narrow chaotic streets, I then experienced a deja vu that I had been there in a previous life. Strange. I have never felt this before. Some of my Mennonite ancestors may have lived in Amsterdam. At one point half of the population of Amsterdam was Mennonite and they had a role in building the canals. Personality-wise, I could relate to the Dutch: some reminded me of my mother. Let's just say that the Amsterdam trip was unexpectedly eerie.
Lainsburgh sign; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Over the next few weeks I'll share highlights of Amsterdam. I was taken with the very old buildings, the street art, design, and the house boats.
Denham Jeans sign; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013

No comments: