Wednesday 26 March 2014

Amsterdam: Random Goodness II

Amsterdam canal; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Ever the contrarian, I have mixed feelings about spring. It is arriving slowly. Yesterday I went for a walk in the warmish (5ºC) sunshine, wearing fewer layers but still donning a hat and warm boots. Then it snowed a bit. Then the sun came out again. Yup, a Canadian spring is in the works. I digress. I've now had six weeks without large deadlines hanging over my head and I've been in the studio long hours developing two new bodies of work (and cleaning, organizing, and purging). Once spring is here I'll have distractions that will force me to put in more reasonable hours: dirty windows and the garden will beckon. I'll want to walk for hours at a time, I'll want to take day trips and picnics.    
Sculpture in tree; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Soon it will be April. At some point the trees will bud and unfurl tender green leaves. Most of the garden will come back to life. Some of it won't. We've had a brutal winter. Things die. The squirrels are hungry. What isn't dead, they'll want to eat. 
Panel van; Photo © Karen Thiessen, 2013
Looking at these Amsterdam pictures, I am reminded of how beneficial taking 15 days away from the studio and seeing new sights was for my art practice. I came back refreshed and renewed. The garden needs my help. I need the garden's help to re-energize me, to give me space from my work so that I can see it more clearly. Just like Canada has seasons, so too does my studio practice. What about you? Does your creative practice have distinct "seasons"?

No comments: